A couple of the new "official" Kidical Mass plans are to include a waiver for parents at the start of the ride (which helps collect rider information to count participants, emergency phone number for the ride, and email address to keep them updated for future events. We also had the top 10 guidelines for rider safety and enjoyment.
- Make individual decisions and be responsible for your family’s safety.
- Obey all traffic signals and signs.
- Use hand signals. Wave hello to people, too.
- Follow right-of-way rules with all users of the roads.
- Share the road, avoid the door-zone, use appropriate lane positioning for optimal safety.
- Ride single-file in bike lanes.
- Keep at least a “ghost bike” of space between you and the rider in front.
- No one passes the leader. No one gets left behind.
- Have fun!
- Make new friends!
Our September ride started at Grant Park. It's a great place to hang out while riders assemble. It was pretty awesome to watch the cargo bikes start filling up the park! We had three Yuba Mundos, one homemade bakfiets, one Workcycle bakfiets, and our Bullitt (that makes three bakfietsen for those counting and using proper Dutch terminology), one Fr8 bike from Workcycles, four kiddos riding their own bikes (!), an adult trike, and three other "regular" bikes.
At Doughbot, we piled into the shop where we were greeted with an entire tray of doughnut flowers! We made ourselves comfortable and devoured the entire platter. A HUGE thank you to Dannah and Bryan for making delicious doughnuts and coffees AND for allowing us to take over their shop!